MediaWiki for Developers Training Course
Duration21 hours (usually 3 days including breaks)
Completion of Administering Mediawiki course highly recommended.
Intermediate-level experience with LAMP Intermediate CSS/HTML experience
This course jumps into the deep end of the pool; we are going to go over every essential aspect of MediaWiki development, including:
- Mapping out the core code
- Creating extensions
- Modifying and Creating Custom Skins
This course is for intermediate-level LAMP developers and up, preferably with some styling experience.
The Structure and Purpose of MediaWiki
- Where we are now
- How it ended up this way
- Current efforts, and the future
The path router
- The startup and shutdown of MediaWiki
The Includes Directory
- 'Here be dragons': a map to the includes directory
- Walking through
- Marking out your points of interest
Essential files, classes, and methods
- The parser
- Image Handling
- The API
- The Job Queue
- Pages, articles, revisions, and titles
- Global functions
- What you need to know
- A Game of Chess: Choosing your moves wisely
- The limitation of hooks
- Object-oriented extension versus hooking
- Dead ends, and how to avoid them
- When you have no other choice: modifying the core code
- Where did it go?
- Tracing the path of an object
- What went wrong?
- Debugging in MediaWiki
- Finding the root of an error
- We're extensions too!
- Vector, and the current skinning efforts in MediaWiki
- What is changing
- Creating a skin from scratch
- The classes you must work with (or around)
- Creating the raw skin
- Theming, and CSS classes at your disposal
MediaWiki and the Database
- The schema
Contributing, Gerrit, and working with the team
Bookings, Prices and Enquiries
- Public Classroom
- Participants from multiple organisations. Topics usually cannot be customised
- Private Classroom
- Participants are from one organisation only. No external participants are allowed. Usually customised to a specific group, course topics are agreed between the client and the trainer.
- Private Remote
- The instructor and the participants are in two different physical locations and communicate via the Internet. More Information
The more delegates, the greater the savings per delegate. Table reflects price per delegate and is used for illustration purposes only, actual prices may differ.
|Number of Delegates||Public Classroom||Private Remote|
|Location||Date||Course Price [Remote/Classroom]|
Too expensive? Suggest your price